Throughout the ages, humans have used stories to encode and decode the meaning of life. Now, in modernity, as the Memoir Revolution matures, more of us than ever are discovering the stories embedded in our own experience. By finding the words to describe our lives, we convert our psychological tension into art. By doing so, we inform others and heal ourselves.
Join me and a small group of other explorers for an intimate collaborative effort to find yourself through stories.
June 11th- July 16, 2019, Tuesdays, 7:30 PM to 9 PM Eastern Time
Sept 19th – October 24th, 2019, Thursdays, 7:30 to 9 PM Eastern
The Healing Power of Writing Your Life
Northampton Community College, 4 sessions, Tuesday evenings starting again in Fall, 2019, 6:30 PM, Bethlehem PA
We store the past as kaleidoscope of memories that pop in & out of view. Class will show healing power of seeing past through the lens of story. By writing scenes, anecdotes & stories, learn lessons about yourself, develop a voice to explain parts that never made sense & feel more comfortable in your own skin.
The Healing Power of Writing Your Life – Longer Memoir
Northampton Community College, 4 sessions Tuesday evenings, starting again in Fall 2019, Bethlehem PA
Course shows how to write your life in longer form known as “memoir.” See how book length stories can be constructed by linking together anecdotes & scenes into framework of chapters. Gain self-understanding by narrating character in your story & watching yourself grow along character arc. To visualize your own life as story, we’ll review popular memoir genre & explore how your journey fits into this healing literary form.
Past engagements have been in colleges and universities, writing groups, senior centers, women’s groups, alumni clubs, libraries, memoir clubs, churches, synagogues, and national associations.
Write Stories for Family Love and Legacy
Northampton Community College, 4 sessions, starting Mar 14, 2017, 2:00 PM Main Campus, Bethlehem, PA
As families grow and spread, one way to maintain bonds is through stories. In this workshop, we’ll explore ways you can upgrade dinner table conversation and family folklore into well-formed stories that add depth to your family emails, newsletters, social media or even biographies.
Memoir Retreat, Water’s Edge Resort and Spa, Westbrook, Connecticut
How to turn facts into stories; Introduction to Creative Nonfiction Northampton Community College
Structuring Your Memoir: Beginning, Middle, and End
10 Reasons to Write Your Memoir
8-hour Memoir Workshop, Chaffee County Writers, Buena Vista, CO
Why write a story about an ordinary life?
Learn to Write your Memoir, 8 hour workshop at Manayunk Art Center
NAMW: Four week teleworkshop – Call from anywhere
Association of Personal Historians Annual Conference
What any writer can learn from the Memoir Revolution: Doylestown Bookshop, Doylestown, PA
Workshops and Conferences
- “Performance Story Telling”, Good Men Project, The WestEnd, NY, NY
- “The Boy Who Solved Problems”, The Lehigh Valley Story Slam
- “Overcome Writer’s Block and Achieve your Goals “, Montgomery County Community College, Montgomeryville, PA
- “Record the Story of Your Life”, Philadelphia Stories, Manayunk Art Center, Manayunk, PA
- “Writing as an Aid to Spirituality”, Science of the Soul, Quakertown, PA
- “Find Meaning in Your Memories”, Greenshire Arts Consortium, Quakertown, PA
- “How to Write a Memoir”, The Pearl Buck House, Doylestown, PA
- “Demystifying Memoirs”, The Penn Club of New York, NY, NY
- Creative Non-Fiction Panel, Philadelphia Stories “Push to Publish” Conference, Philadelphia, PA
- “Write Your Memoir Workshop”, Chaffee County Writers Exchange, Buena Vista, CO
- “Lessons from the Memoir Revolution”, Association of Personal Historians Annual Conference, Valley Forge, PA
- “I Don’t Brake for Writers Block”, Montgomery County Community College Writers Conference, Montgomeryville, PA
Are you looking for an informative, experienced speaker to share interesting insights with your members?
I speak and teach in the Lehigh Valley, and would like to speak to your members about any topic related to memoirs and life writing. My speaking topics include:
• Effectively capturing your own and your family’s stories through writing
• Using your authentic life stories to connect to others
• Finding fulfillment, self-development, and healing through writing
• Reading memoirs to make better sense of yourself and the people around you.
• Writing to raise awareness and offer insights into a social cause
As the author of a memoir, and three other books about writing, I am passionate about the opportunities the modern Memoir Revolution affords ordinary people to learn about themselves and each other through authentic life stories.
In my talks, whether to small groups or full auditoriums, I share the vision of memoir and life story writing as a stimulating hobby, a way to deepen connections with friends and family, and a way to build community.
I have offered these talks in libraries, houses of worship, senior centers, rotary clubs, writing clubs, bookstores, and colleges.
- Discover the Story Amidst the Facts
- Read Memoirs to Help you Write Yours
- Structuring Your Memoir: Beginning, Middle, and End
- Memoir Writing Workshop
- Learn to Structure Your Memoir
- Why Write a Story about an Ordinary life?
- Learn to Write your Memoir
Adjunct Faculty at Northampton Community College, Bethlehem, PA
- Creative Non-Fiction
- Learn to Write Your Memoir
- I Love to Write. Now What?
- Memoir Writing as a Way to Heal